- 6 cups organic apple juice
- Agar-agar flakes 1 tbsp. per cup of juice
- 3 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of sea salt
- 5 tbsp. tahini
- 1 whole vanilla pod or a few drops of vanilla essence
- Fresh berries and banana for garnish
- Cacao nibs for garnish
- Put the apple juice, agar-agar flakes and lemon zest into a medium saucepan. Leave to soak for 10-15 minutes. Add the salt, bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir every now and then with a wooden spoon until the agar-agar flakes have completely dissolved, then remove from the heat.
- Put the tahini into a small bowl. Gradually add about ½ cup of the hot juice, stirring as you add it. When the tahini reaches a thin, creamy consistency, stir the mix from the bowl into the saucepan.
- Slice the vanilla pod along its length and scrape out the seeds. Mix this seedy paste into the custard. Pour the hot liquid into a shallow bowl. Leave to cool until it is firm, (approx. 2 hours). Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Place the custard in a covered container in the fridge, then serve either on its own or as a topping for other desserts.