DIETING IS OUT – HEALTHY EATING IS IN!
Obesity is one of the greatest public health challenges of the 21st century. Its prevalence has tripled in many countries of the WHO European Region since the 1980s, and the numbers of those affected continue to rise at an alarming rate. In addition to causing various physical disabilities and psychological problems, excess weight drastically increases a person’s risk of developing a number of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), including cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes.
Over the past two decades, in particular, as to why we are ‘gaining weight’ despite so many ‘silver bullet’ ‘diets’ hitting the market there has been little movement toward any improvement to the obesity epidemic. Many nations of the world continue to pile on the pounds. What I am going to share with you is based on solid science. What makes me different from so many of the health professionals is that my Weight Loss Nature’s Way Course is unique in that it is not a DIET. It’s about taking responsibility for your own health and that learning that healing and weight loss start in your own kitchen. You in charge of what you eat on a daily basis. You are your own doctor.
You simply can’t change your life, without changing your life. No matter what the latest fad crazy diet food, pills or others tell you, trust me…. The only path to sustainable weight loss and good health is by eating a wholefoods plant based diet. Anything that is new is generally not good for you, anything that is old is. I have been teaching the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Macrobiotics for decades. TCM is thousands of years old, and these cultures have no weight issues until they adopt a standard western diet.
There are many books currently on the market ‘Grain Brain’ and Wheat Belly’ being two of the many that quote such dishonest information to the general public. They are big fans of meat (of course) so they demonise all grains for all people…..and tie it in with gluten problems and coeliac disease.
Complex Carbohydrates (sugars) are where we get our energy that sustains our life. I have counselled hundreds of people with ill health who have been eating high protein diets. The only way forward for human health, planetary health and sensibility are by adopting a wholefoods plant based vegan diet. Pure and Simple.
Next up with his nonsense was the food writer Mark Bittman from New York who had the world in a frenzy with his article on ‘Butter is Back’ (he has been discredited for writing that article). Of course, people always love to hear good news about all their life-long bad habits, it makes them feel good. The articles that sweep the internet and create huge confusion among consumers grow daily and weight Loss is at the top of the pile.
I have compassion and understanding that so many are unaware of the addictive additives placed in food and my vision and mission are to inspire as many people as I can to start learning simple home remedies and cooking techniques to take control of their weight problems and health.
I am not bogged down by an overriding ‘theory’ to prove. I teach what I teach with fun and an open mind. I have a no-nonsense approach to what works because that is what I continue to see year after year with clients who adopted this way of living. The information I share is simple, direct and hugely effective. If you follow my advice you will be better for it and that is what I guarantee.
ARE YOUR HORMONES OUT OF BALANCE?
Hormonal balance is an important part of understanding how weight loss works and the results sustained. You can change everything you believed about dieting because hormones control your fat burning switch! There are hormones that create weight gain and hormones that keep you lean. I refer to this as having your fat burning switch in the on or off position.
There is so much cutting edge data now equating hormonal imbalance with weight problems. Eating a hormone balanced diet is the way forward to not only losing weight but also creating great health and vitality. My Weight Loss Nature’s Way programme is in line with the recommendations from organisations such as the Centre for Disease Control and the World Health Organization. In this article, I am addressing two major hormones in particular – one that stores fat – and one that burns fat.
SO HOW DO YOU BURN FAT?
Insulin is the hormone responsible for allowing sugars to be used for energy. Insulin rises and falls according to blood sugar levels and is greatly influenced by what you eat. Carbohydrates are broken down in the digestive system and converted into glucose (blood sugar) to be used as energy in your body.
When glucose enters the blood stream the pancreas produces the insulin that allows the billions of cells in your body to open up and receive this energy to use for their various functions. If you eat too many refined carbohydrates such as white bread, pasta, pastries and sugar rich foods, the sugars in these foods cause a rapid rise in blood sugar. The flood of sugar stimulates the pancreatic production of insulin over long periods of time. This causes your cells to remain receptive. These excess sugars are stored as fat. Normalising insulin levels is essential to stop this storage from happening. Dramatically reducing or eliminating these ‘refined’ carbohydrates is the best way to accomplish this.
Insulin has a sister hormone, and its name is glucagon. This hormone is a critical component of your fat-burning biochemistry. When you need more energy and there is not enough glucose, glucagon is secreted. The purpose of this hormone is the exact opposite of insulins. Glucagon stimulates the release of stored fats to be used as energy.
Reducing the consumption of simple sugars and refined carbohydrates stimulate the production of glucagon and stimulate the burning of stored fats. If a healthy diet is combined with even moderate exercise the combination of less fat storage and better fat burning is promoted. The dietary advice below describes some of the main features of a diet that promote hormonal balance and healthy weight loss.
Balance is the key to life at all levels. Here are some simple explanations on how to balance the four hormones that cause you to gain weight and increase the three superheroes to help us burn fat.
THE FOUR FAT STORING HORMONES
TO BALANCE INSULIN
- Cut out refined carbohydrates
- Remove sugar from your diet and replace with grain syrups like rice and barley malts.
TO BALANCE ESTROGEN
- Cut out processed foods
- Increase your daily intake of fibre
- Cut down on coffee and alcohol
- Do not use a microwave
- BPA is an oestrogen compound found in plastic cups and leaches into the food particularly when heated.
- Assist the body in breakdown and elimination by eating a natural foods diet
TO BALANCE CORTISOL
- Reduce stress in your daily life
- Elevated cortisol levels lead to higher insulin levels (create hunger pangs)
TO BALANCE LEPTIN
- Cut out MSG and all commercial seasonings
- Low levels of leptin signal the body to store fat
- Sleep well
- Eat slowly – chew well
- Increase your consumption of sea vegetables
THE THREE FAT BURNING HORMONES
TO INCREASE HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE
- Get a good night’s sleep – Sleep deprivation almost completely abolishes HGH production.
- Eat HGH Building Blocks. These include foods high in the B vitamins, like whole grains (quinoa), legumes, vegetables and proteins, and the mineral zinc which is found in seaweed.
- Go Organic – Many of our foods are loaded with pesticides and chemicals which lower HGH.
- Incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Workouts improve your body chemistry, including levels of HGH. You can dramatically slow down the ageing process, increase your strength as you age and eliminate the many risks of so many diseases that come about through lack of exercise.
TO INCREASE TESTOSTERONE
- Eat Testosterone Builders, foods rich in beta-carotene (yellow and orange vegetables and green leafy vegetables, foods high in B vitamins and foods containing boron (fruits, nuts and legumes. All of these foods cause your body to produce more testosterone.
- Other testosterone boosters are amino acids. They are the building blocks of cells, antibodies, muscle tissues and enzymes.
- A diet high in fat alters testosterone levels. Good fats are important for keeping testosterone levels up so eating more monosaturated fats from nuts, avocados and polyunsaturated fats is a good idea because they are burned for fuel and don’t make your fat.
- Caffeine and alcohol affect your testosterone levels.
TO INCREASE PROGESTERONE
- Progesterone enhancing foods include B vitamins in particular vitamin B6 found in beans, as well as many fruits and vegetables like avocados, spinach and tomatoes.
- The other key nutrient in progesterone production is magnesium. Eat plenty of organic dark green leafy vegetables, and sea vegetables, almonds, seeds, nuts and beans which are all good sources of magnesium and also keep your liver healthy.
- Poor liver function suppresses progesterone.
As you will see from the above it really is very simple to adopt a hormone balanced ‘diet’ into your life and alleviate weight problems once and for all.
MARLENE’S HORMONE BALANCING FOOD PLAN
- Eat at least 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks
- Focus on portion size, not calories – chew well
- Maintain a constant blood sugar level
- Eat natural foods rich in phytoestrogens
- Include good sources of vegetable protein; beans, legumes, tofu, tempeh,
- Drink filtered water, green tea or herbal teas
- Eat cooked foods
- Lightly cooked fresh vegetables
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Sprouted seeds such as alfalfa, lentils and mung beans
- Pressed salads and pickles
- Colourful fruits in season
- Almonds, walnuts, sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds
- Shitake and maitake mushrooms
- Miso – shoyu – tamari
- Wholegrains – short grain brown rice, quinoa, millet, barley
- Soba & udon noodles
- Naturally sweetened desserts (occasionally) using barley malt or rice syrup
- Go Organic
- Good fats in moderation and used sparingly
EAT HORMONE FRIENDLY
ELIMINATING THE FOLLOWING FOODS
- Refined carbohydrates
- Processed foods
- Alcohol and caffeine
- Non-organic fruits and vegetables
- MSG soy sauces
- All commercial seasonings
- Coffee (try grain based)
- Sugar-laden drinks and juices
FOODS TO USE REGULARLY FOR BETTER HEALTH AND WEIGHT LOSS
Whole grains: Whole grains are low-calorie; complex carbohydrates that haven’t been processed or milled like white flour or white rice. This means they haven’t been robbed of their essential nutrients or dietary fibre so essential in keeping weight down.
Vegetables: Bite for bite, vegetables and whole grains provide more nutrients and fibre with fewer calories than any other food group, making it easier to control your weight.
Sea Vegetables: They are a rich source of many trace minerals. Seaweeds break down and digest slowly compared to processed foods. This actually allows hormonal balancing to occur. Research shows that seaweed is not only an amazing health food but speeds up weight loss by blocking fat intake and promotes fat burning.
Beans and Bean Products: Regular bean eaters are less likely to be overweight and have smaller waistlines than those who pass on legumes. Beans release energy slowly into the body, making them a great weight loss food. They are also high in protein and fibre, which satiates the appetite and helps keep you full for longer periods of time.
Along with Fruits, Nuts and Seeds and my Medicinal Teas you have a winning combination.
FOODS TO AVOID FOR HORMONAL BALANCE, WEIGHT LOSS & RENEWED HEALTH
Deep fried foods:
Highly processed foods with chemical additives:
Cheese and dairy:
Red meat, pork and chicken
My Top 3 Exotic Foods for Natural Weight Loss
‘Turn on Your Fat-Burning Switch’
Seaweeds break down and digest slowly compared to processed foods. Seaweeds are also nutrient density, especially minerals; contribute greatly to hormonal balance too. Research shows that seaweed speeds up weight loss by blocking fat intake and promotes fat burning. Alginate the natural fibre found in sea kelp blocks the body from absorbing fat far more effectively than anti-weight treatments currently sold over the counter. A 2010 study by Newcastle University demonstrated what has been known for centuries in the Far East – Sea Vegetables are a powerful tool for weight loss.
Dried Shitake mushrooms have traditionally been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine as an aid to the immune functions of the body and for breaking down fatty tissue. Japanese researchers discovered that this is because of eritadenine, a substance that reduces cholesterol. Researchers S. Suzuki and Oshima found that a raw Shiitake eaten daily for one week lowers serum cholesterol by 12%.
This magical vegetable is superior to anything I have used for years with clients to achieve amazing results. It is a fantastic natural diuretic with a very gentle action that is excellent for managing the fluid retention that so often accompanies weight gain. The more fat cells we have, the more fluid we store. You can see me making this amazing tea using the fresh and dried version on my ‘youtube’ channel.
Marlene’s Fat Burning Tea
Daikon, Shitake and Kombu Drink
This tea helps the liver to open up and discharge smoothly.
1 dried shitake mushroom
½ cup dried daikon
1-inch strip kombu seaweed
3 cups spring water
Place the shitake, dried daikon and kombu in a small bowl, rinse and then cover with water. Leave to soak for about 10 minutes. Discard the water. Slice the shitake and place the ingredients into a pan. Add the water, cover and bring to a boil on a medium flame. Reduce the flame and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Remove and discard the ingredients. Drink the tea whilst hot. All of these ingredients are readily available in natural food stores and many supermarkets.
In good health